Submit a recipe here
by Bill Fencken, added on April 7, 2021, 9:31 p.m.
Pastel de Choclo is a traditional Chilean corn and meat pie.
6 large ears of fresh sweet corn (canned or
8 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter
1/2-1 cup milk
4 large onions, chopped
3 tbsps. oil
1 lb. (1/2 kg) finely ground lean beef
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1 cup black olives
1 cup raisins
12 pieces of chicken (bone-in thigh preferred), browned in hot oil, seasoned with salt,
pepper and cumin to taste.
2 tbsps. confectioners' sugar
01. Cut kernels from corn (substitution of 2.5 cups canned/frozen corn is ok).
02. Pulse corn in a blender until cooked oatmeal consistency.
03. Simmer the grated corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot.
04. Add the milk little by little, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
05. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
06. Leave to one side while you prepare the meat filling.
07. Fry the onions in oil until transparent
08. Add the ground meat and stir to brown.
09. Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
10. In a separate skillet, brown chicken in hot oil, seasoned with salt, (no need to fully cook)
11. To prepare the pie use an oven-proof dish that you can take to the table.
12. (Traditionally, a small clay bowl is used that is single serving sized - see image)
13. Spread the cooked paste over the bottom of the dish
14. Add the onion-ground meat mixture.
15. Arrange over this the hard boiled egg slices, olives and raisins.
16. Put the chicken pieces on top, optionally bone the chicken.
17. Cover the filling with the remaining corn mixture.
18. Lightly sprinkle the confectioners' sugar over the top.
19. Bake in a hot oven 400 Deg. F (205 Deg. C) for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
20. Serve at once.
21. In Chile more sugar is served to sprinkle over the "pastel" as it is eaten.
Back to index.